Sunday 24 January 2016

wax works


London Skyline from Dawsons Hill




Blue Gazebo




Roof Garden


When I was around 11 years of age I had a passion for wax crayons. Almost everyday after school I would go up to the art room get a piece of sugar paper and do a wax crayon sunset, enjoying creating the illusion of space by building up ever darker tones of wax gradating from pale yellow to black. Perhaps, in an attempt to escape the horrors of school I was trying to create a vision of my future life. 

The above pictures were drawn last week with neocolor II wax pastels (a medium I've not used for more than 40 years) and will be on show at the Jane Newbery Gallery from 11th February - 15th March.

2 comments:

  1. The top one just makes me swoon--very very soft and peaceful.

    I was a "geek" and loved school....just hated having to be surrounded by too many people/noises/chaos.
    I think I should be a GREAT artist for all the suffering that put me through-LOL!!
    Have a terrific week, Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, sorry for the slow reply, I've been busy preparing for a show I'm having early next month and have only just checked my blog. Its interesting what you said about school because I think it was the crowd behaviour that I found most difficult, not the learning side, although even the teachers at my school were a barrier to education. Thanks again for your generous comment.

      Delete